Using WHOIS privacy for a domain
Using WHOIS privacy you can hide your personal details for any domain names that have the following TLD’s: .com, .org, .net, .info, .biz, .eu, .in, .io, etc.
For .uk domain names please check this article here.
Part of the terms of a .com (or any other TLD mentioned above) domain registration is to maintain accurate and up to date WHOIS details; failure to do this can be grounds for domain termination, and the registries do check and enforce this from time to time. To ensure compliance with this regulation and also hide your details from the WHOIS there is a special procedure that must be followed at the registry, which involves regularly filling of the necessary WHOIS privacy paperwork – i.e. so that law enforcement officials etc. can still find out who owns a particular domain, but the general public cannot.
Who can opt-out?
WHOIS privacy is available to anyone without restrictions.
How much does WHOIS privacy cost?
The charge to maintain WHOIS privacy is £4.95 per year for UK subscriptions or $7.95 per year for US/Singapore subscriptions – this renews annually with your domain registration.
Hiding WHOIS privacy details for an existing domain
If you have already registered a domain name with us, and later decide you wish to hide your WHOIS details, please send us a request to enable WHOIS privacy for your domain to email@example.com*.
Displaying WHOIS privacy details for an existing domain
If you have already registered a domain name with us with hidden WHOIS details, and later decide you wish to display your WHOIS details or begin using your domain for business, trade or professional transactions, please send a request to disable WHOIS privacy to firstname.lastname@example.org*.
* Our Domains team operate during UK business hours, however we will try to process your request as fast as possible.
Hiding WHOIS details for a new domain
When you place the domain registration order your can enable the WHOIS privacy service by ticking the check-box below:
For more details on how to register a new domain, please see our article about domain registration.
Editing your WHOIS details
If your WHOIS details are outdated, you can change them using these simple steps:
- Log in to the Layershift Customer Control Panel.
- Open the ‘Home’ tab at the top of the page.
- In the ‘Domain Management’ section, click ‘All My Domains’.
- Click on the domain name you wish to edit.
- Open the ‘Contacts’ tab.
- Click ‘edit’.
- You will see 3 contacts listed – registrant, administrative and billing. Next to ‘billing’ contact click ‘create copy’. It is important that you enter your correct details on this page.
- Click ‘save’.
- You will return to the list of domain contacts – take a note of the new contact description next to ‘registrant’ and select the same contact in the ‘administrative’ and ‘billing’ drop-down boxes. It is not necessary to enter the information more than once.
- Click ‘save’ and you have completed this process.
Your domain name update will be processed automatically and the contact details will be updated in the WHOIS database usually within 5 minutes, but sometimes up to 2 hours later.
Need More Help?
If you're still having problems, get in touch with our 24/7 support team! We'll be more than happy to help.